||Under general supervision of the Assistant Director of Food and Beverage Operations and/or Director of Food & Beverage Operations, oversees food and pastry and Food & Beverage back of house operations by planning, organizing, and managing all kitchen operations. Production for all food outlets. Develops menus, food purchase specifications and recipes and understanding of the P&L report. Directly supervises all production and pastry staff. Maintains the highest professional food quality. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements needed to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Plan, direct, and supervise the food preparation and cooking activities of multiple kitchens or restaurants.
- Hires, trains, and supervises the work of food and pastry production staff.
- Plans menus for all food service locations considering customer base, popularity of various dishes, holidays, costs, and a wide variety of other factors.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks, and other kitchen employees to ensure that food preparation is economical and technically correct.
- Conducts regular physical inventories of food supplies, and assesses projected needs; orders all food and supplies.
- Manages the operations, revenue and assets of the kitchens.
- Establishes, implements and communicates goals, objectives, internal controls, policies and procedures in accordance with strategic plan.
- Ensures optimum staffing levels by coordinating the schedules of the prep cooks, bussers and dishwashers.
- Maintains a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen; keeps kitchen, dish, and storage areas clean and organized.
- Instructs employees in methods and procedures, rules and regulations of safety, health and sanitation.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation and cleanliness are maintained throughout the kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation, and accident prevention principles.
- Develops and tests recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to ensure consistent high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control over all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Prepares necessary data for the budget in area of responsibility; projects annual food and labor costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action where necessary to help ensure that financial goals are met.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Evaluates food products to ensure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Instruct cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Improves staff effectiveness by coaching, counseling, training and recommending disciplinary action for employees; planning, delegating, monitoring, and appraising job tasks and results in a timely manner.
- Hosts regular staff meetings to ensure communication among personnel regarding administrative activities.
- Achieves financial objectives by overseeing kitchen labor and monitoring food costs to budgetary requirements.
- Keeps leadership and other departments informed of status of kitchen activities by attending meetings and submitting reports.
- Contributes to departmental effectiveness by: identifying short-term and long-range issues and goals that must be addressed and providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of actions; and implementing directives.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- Supervises cleaning of all kitchen areas.
- Informs wait staff of any food shortages well in advance of this occurrence. Finds a suitable substitute for the menu item if at all possible.
- Ensures the line cooks prepare a variety of foods in quantities according to the menu and number of patrons to be served.
- Maintains a good communication with co-workers and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associates Degree in Culinary Arts or related field, plus five (5) years progressive management in kitchen and food preparation; or High School Diploma or GED, plus seven (7) years progressive management experience in food preparation.
- ACF Certification, ServeSafe Certification required.
- Gaming experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must meet all knowledge, skills and abilities.
- No felony, theft or stealing convictions.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain gaming license.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of operation of holding ovens and baking ovens.
- Knowledge of restaurant operations and food service principles.
- Knowledge of the proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment including stoves, ovens, refrigeration units, slivers, knives, and dish machines.
- Knowledge of budget and planning.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public relations and customer service.
- Knowledge of computer utilization in marketing/business operations.
- Knowledge of soups and sauces preparation.
- Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Skill in cooking and preparing a variety of foods.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferable in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
- Ability to plan a variety of menus.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to develop and test recipes and/or techniques for food preparation/presentation.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to coordinate quality assurance programs in area of specialty.
- Ability to plan work schedules and assign duties; ability to provide or arrange for training.
- Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
||While performing the duties of this job, the employee is may be required to stand for prolonged periods, walk; use hands for dexterity of motion; stoop, bend, kneel or crouch, and have normal auditory and verbal communications skills. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
||Work is generally performed in the Casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam and Casino setting with exposure to secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.