|Under direct supervision of the Executive Chef, is responsible for all aspects of baking and pastry operations. Works to continually improve guest and team member satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Is responsible for overseeing all assigned kitchen areas to ensure that a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Works with the Executive Chef to deliver an exceptional desserts selection to all venues and casino guests. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation, food service and support areas as applicable. Must have extensive knowledge of state liquor laws. Works efficiently in a team-based environment and must follow the enterprise’s alcohol training as well as all Internal Controls (ICs), consistently.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures compliance with all enterprise policies and procedures, including ICs.
- Works with Restaurant Chefs to create bread, pastry, and dessert items that support the venues themes and creates Pastry menus and trains team to execute them.
- Provides guidance and direction to Pastry team members, including setting goals, performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Provides and supports outstanding service behaviors for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, team members, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Works to meet or exceed goals provided by Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Director including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Ensures menu items are flavorful, well presented, and cost effective.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Manages day-to-day operations of the Pastry Shop, ensuring that quality standards and expectations of the customers are met or exceeded on a daily basis.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Understands team members’ positions well enough to perform duties in team members’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Works with Human Resources Department to fill open positions.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Manages team member progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
- Ensures team members are treated fairly and equitably.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensures enterprise and department policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures compliance with all food handling and sanitation standards.
- Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
- Follows proper handling and temperature standards of all food products. Ensures team members maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or internal functions.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Trains kitchen team members on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
- Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- Observes service behaviors of team members and provides feedback to individuals and or managers.
- Uses enterprise computer systems in daily operations to meet goals and maintain standards.
- Works with food and beverage managers and keeps them informed of issues as they arise.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Manages department controllable expenses including cost of baked goods and pastries, and all other food costs, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility
- Analyzes member survey results and regular member/guest feedback; partners with management to identify opportunities for improvement to be addressed with effective training solutions.
- Exemplifies the desired culture and philosophies of the organization
- Demonstrate the enterprise’s “On Brand” attitude towards team members and guest at all times.
- Displays, supports and reinforces the enterprise’s Spirit of Service Standards.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations governing Food & Beverage; ensures that all City, State and Federal Health/Food Safety codes are upheld.
- Adheres to all state liquor laws and enteprise ICs
- Model the company standards and leads by example
- Performs other duties as required
|Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required, culinary degree preferred.
- Seven (7) years’ Pastry experience required with four (4) years as a Pastry Chef or Pastry Sous Chef in a multi-outlet high volume resort, casino, or hotel.
- Culinary education may be substituted for up to two (2) years of general pastry experience.
- No felony, theft or stealing convictions.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license, and posess the following:
|Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Skilled in managing a diverse and demanding multi-lingual workforce.
- Knowledge of maintenance and care of Pastry/bakery facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Knowledge of scheduling techniques and ability to apply to control labor costs.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
- Knowledge of cost controls in food and labor, and ability to apply them in daily practice.
- Skilled at food presentation and decorative food displays.
- Ability to obtain a Food Handler’s card.
- Ability to obtain TIPS certification.
- Ability to provide leadership and direction to multiple venues with an array of styles and requirements.
- Ability to oversee, mentor and develop pastry cooks in a variety of baked goods.
- Ability to develop dessert menus that are flavorful, well presented, and cost effective, utilizing a variety of cuisines and techniques.
- Ability to create dessert menus to match themes and guest special requests.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Ability to lead and train pastry team members at all levels.
- Ability to understand and interpret profit and loss statements.
- Ability to maintain open and positive two way communication with food and beverage management and other departments.
- Ability to conduct effective interviews and work within established procedures to hire and retain staff.
- Ability to interact with vendors and suppliers, and in conjunction with purchasing to source the best possible product at the best prices for all aspects of food and beverage operations.
- Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control and safety standards
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with team members and guests.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure, making decisions in high stress situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, good working knowledge of Microsoft office.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam and casino setting with exposure to secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evenings, graveyards, holidays and/or weekend work are required.
Extended hours and irregular shifts may also be required.